The Business Directory: Why Online Advertising Is Better Than Print Advertising
The online directory business has now become an integral part of every smart advertising strategy, and it’s easy to understand why. However, the advent of the Internet has offered greater opportunities for businesses to engage in online advertising, and this touches upon using business directories as well. Although a company may still find some benefits in advertising in a printed local business directory, it is actually advantageous for a company to post free online advertising classifieds as well. In fact, better results may be generated through free online advertising compared to what may be achieved through print media.
Telephone Directories Used To Be Useful
Before the Internet, businesses wanted to be listed in telephone business directories because it generated concrete results than through other print methods such as advertising through pamphlets and newspapers.
- Telephone directories provided ready information to people who were actively seeking such information, unlike newspaper ads and pamphlets. Readers of pamphlets and newspaper ads may not care about a particular item when they were reading about it, and therefore the information may be forgotten or simply disregarded.
- The cost to get listed in a telephone directory is cheaper compared to the cost of other printed advertising materials. This is especially true for ads in newspapers and popular magazines. The costs of such ads often reach thousands of dollars or more, per campaign. In comparison, the cost of getting listed in a telephone directory is a lot cheaper and you’ll only need to spend for it once.
The Changing Reading Habits of Modern Consumers
As the Internet became more ubiquitous and integral in the lives of ordinary consumers, the popularity of print media has decreased precipitously. Sales of once popular magazines have declined, and even venerable institutions such as Newsweek have ceased their print operations entirely in lieu of online operations. Major newspapers haven’t fared well either, and just about every major U.S. newspaper now has an online edition as well. Even books have been affected as well, with the sales of ebooks increasing every year and threatening to eventually outsell their paperback versions. Because of the decreasing popularity of print media, it makes much sense to become listed in an online directory than in a traditional print directory.
The Obvious Advantages of the Online Directory
The advantages of the telephone directory over other printed means have now been absorbed and assimilated by online business directory. These advantages are now even more obvious:
- More people use search engines these days to find the information they need about certain products, and services.
- The information online cannot be discarded. They’re always there. Consumers can easily find them through search engines and through bookmarks. The information can also be updated immediately, unlike telephone directories.
- It doesn’t cost anything to be listed in most online directories, even with the inclusion of detailed information. For a business to offer the same amount of information in a telephone directory may entail additional expenses.
By being listed in an online business directory free publicity can actually be generated effectively, and there is nothing more cost effective than increasing the visibility and popularity of your business without having to shell out a huge sum of money for it.